Adoption can be one of the most joyous, but also stressful times. The adoption process is complex and you should not have to go through it alone. Fortunately, New York offers various types of adoption for families with different circumstances. If you are considering adoption, contact our experienced New York family law attorneys at Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. to discuss your options. Continue reading to learn more about the different types of adoptions available in the state of New York.
What are the different types of adoption in New York?
There are various options for adoption in the state of New York that can be chosen according to your family’s situation. Your adoption choices in New York include:
- Domestic adoption: This type of adoption is used when a family or individual who lives in the United States adopts a child who was born and lives in the United States. Typically, this process will involve an adoption agency.
- International adoption: This type of adoption refers to when a family or individual who lives in the United States adopts a child who was born in and lives in another country. This type of adoption is much more intricate and demands a lot of travel to and from the child’s home country.
- Adult adoptions: This occurs between two or more adults to transfer inheritance or filiation.
- Second-parent adoption: This form of adoption generally occurs when a same-sex parent would like to adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without annulling the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private adoptions: This kind of adoption usually occurs without the help of an adoption agency. This process is facilitated between the birth mother and the adoptive parents.
- Stepparent adoptions: This type of adoption is when a stepparent wants to adopt his or her stepchild. In order to do this, the non-custodial parent must consent to the adoption or have his or her rights terminated. Parental rights will likely only be annulled in events of abuse or neglect.
If you are interested in learning more about the adoption process or have questions about your particular situation, do not hesitate to contact our firm to learn more. Adoption can be a complex and often stressful process, so it is important to have a supportive and knowledgeable family law attorney on your side. At Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc., we are dedicated to helping you make important decisions for yourself and your family.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.