Are you considering adoption? If so, you likely have a lot of questions. Adoption is a wonderful thing, but it can be a difficult process. Each family or individual is adopting for a different reason, so there are different methods of adoption. It is best to go into the process educated and prepared. Read on to learn more about the different types of adoptions available in New York to help determine which will be best for you.
Types of Adoption in New York:
There are many different types of adoption depending upon your situation. Your potential adoption options in New York include:
- Domestic adoption: This occurs when a family or individual who lives in the United States adopts a child who was born in, and lives in, the United States. This usually involves an adoption agency.
- International adoption: This happens when a family or individual who lives in the United States adopts a child who was born in, and lives in another country. This type of adoption is often complex and requires a lot of travel to and from the child’s home country.
- Adult adoptions: This occurs between two or more adults to transfer inheritance or filiation.
- Second-parent adoption: A same-sex parent may adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private adoptions: This type of adoption is usually facilitated between the birth mother and the adoptive parents without the help of an adoption agency.
- Stepparent adoptions: This is when a stepparent works to adopt his or her stepchild. In order to do this, the non-custodial parent must consent to the adoption or have his or her rights terminated. Parental rights will likely only be terminated in events of abuse or neglect.
If you are interested in adoption, contact our firm to discuss your various options. It can be a complex process and you will want to have a dedicated and experienced family law attorney on your side. We are here to help you determine the best type of adoption, how to begin, and advocate for you every step along the way. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.