Many couples work to avoid litigation. This is because litigation can be a long, costly, and stressful process. That being said, litigation is a good option for a number of couples. But, others may want to consider an alternative method. Read on to learn more about alternative methods of divorce in New York.
What are the benefits of divorcing outside of the court?
There are a number of reasons a couple may choose to get divorced outside of court, including:
- Control: Generally, alternative methods allow spouses more control over the matters of their divorce because they can talk through their decisions, rather than placing the decisions in the hands of a court.
- Confidentiality: The information shared outside of court cannot be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse. This is a good way to keep your private information private. It is important to know that matters addressed in the court can become public record.
- Speed: The length of the process is dependent upon the couple and the issues they have to resolve. Therefore, it can be faster than litigation.
- Cost: Litigated trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: When couples choose an alternative method, they make the decision to work together to find solutions that benefit both parties. Both spouses must be on the same page and will have to work together to find solutions that benefit each party, generally leading to more open communication.
- Family: These processes often facilitate healthy conversations, which can benefit any couple that has family involved.
How can I get divorced outside of the court?
If you are interested in getting divorced outside of the court, you may partake in one of the following methods:
- Collaborative Divorce: This process exists through a series of four-way meetings where spouses are joined by their attorneys to help settle the future of their marital issues.
- Mediation: Mediation allows you to settle your divorce outside of the court. This process involves a neutral third party helping you and your spouse find unique solutions that work best for both of you.
- Arbitration: This process also involves a third party. However, instead of acting as a mediator, they act as a judge and make all the final decisions relating to marital issues for the spouses.
If you are getting divorced in New York, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.