There are many legal matters that must be settled during divorce proceedings. The decisions that are made during this time can impact people for the rest of their life. This is why it is important to have an experienced New York divorce attorney for assistance in handling these matters.
What Does a Divorce Attorney Do?
A divorce attorney plays a crucial role in allowing a spouse to reach the desired outcome of their proceedings. This can be accomplished by taking on a variety of tasks on behalf of the spouse. This can include the following:
- Assess the case to determine court jurisdiction
- Develop a strategy for advising you regarding all aspects of the divorce
- Prepare legal documents to file with the court
- Conduct discovery to obtain information from the other party
- Appear at all court appearances, depositions, and conferences
- Schedule deadlines and court appearances
- Inform you of actions you must take
- Perform financial analyses of your case
- Conduct legal research
- Prepare you for any appearances and depositions
- Prepare your case for hearings and trials
- Advise you of your rights under the law
- Counsel you about the risks and benefits that arise during your case
Will Additional Professionals Be Appointed to Work With My Attorney?
Divorce proceedings are often difficult and require the help of additional professionals in other fields. To evaluate a family to determine custody or parenting arrangements, the court may enlist a psychologist or psychiatrist. In order to perform an analysis of a couple’s financial situation, they may retain the services of a forensic accountant. This analysis may be necessary if a spouse has a business or large inheritance.
Do I Need an Attorney if I’ve Been Divorced Before?
After going through a divorce, a person may feel as if they know the process very well due to its complexities. It is because of this that if they find themselves in a situation of divorce again, they may feel as if they do not need to hire a divorce attorney. However, every divorce is different and the process reflects this. This can depend on the length of the marriage, if the couple has children, each spouse’s financial situation, and more. In addition to this, it is possible for the law to change since a previous divorce. That is why it is important to always hire an attorney for assistance dealing with your case.
Contact our Firm
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.