How Can a New York Court Order be Enforced?

contact us for a Free Consultation

When agreements are made during divorce and family law proceedings, they are required to be approved by the court. Upon approval, the court will issue a court order. This is considered the law and therefore is required to be followed by all parties included in it. While this is true, there are many cases in which a parent or former spouse may choose to ignore a court order. This is a violation of the law, which is why there are ways it can be enforced. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York attorney for assistance with your case.

When is a Court Order Violated?

When dealing with matters of family law and divorce, there are many different types of court orders that can be issued. These can be in relation to child custody, child support, visitation, alimony payments, and equitable distribution of property. It is a violation of the court order if one party does not uphold their end of the agreement. This may be the case in the event of the following:

  • The child’s other parent is not following a visitation plan
  • Child support or alimony payments are not being made
  • The former spouse is disobeying court orders regarding the division of property
  • Penalties for contempt of court/Being accused of contempt of court

How is a Court Order Enforced?

There are ways to try and handle the situation on your own when a former spouse or parent is not in compliance with a court order. This may be by speaking with them to try and get them to follow the guidelines of the order. However, this may not always work. If it does not, a judge can then legally enforce the order if you file a complaint with the court. If they still choose to violate the order, they can be held in contempt of court and face certain consequences until they follow the order. This can include:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Property liens
  • Suspension of drivers’ licenses
  • Temporary receivership
  • Imprisonment

Contact our Firm

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.

Our Recent Blogs

Can a Parent Be Required to Pay for College?

College degrees are often required for certain jobs across the country. While they are necessary and the college experience can be exciting and fun,…
Read More

What Should I Include in My Prenuptial Agreement?

When two people decide to get married, they are committing to combining their lives as one. This can be exciting, but it is important…
Read More