Litigation is a common method of divorce. The process takes place through the court and involves a judge making decisions about matters of custody, child support, alimony, the division of assets, and more, on behalf of the couple. However, there are other methods of divorce that offer a number of benefits. Read on to learn more.
Alternative methods of divorce
Many couples benefit from divorce processes that take place outside of the court, including:
- Mediation: Mediation allows you to settle your divorce outside of the court, with the help of a neutral third party. This third party can help you and your ex decide upon matters of child custody, child support, alimony, and more.
- Arbitration: This process also involves working with a neutral third party. However, instead of acting as a mediator, they act as a judge and make all the final decisions on behalf of the couple.
- Collaborative Divorce: This process exists through a series of four-way meetings where spouses are joined by their attorneys to help settle the future of their marital issues. In this case, the couple can also bring in experts, such as forensic accountants, etc.
What are some benefits of divorcing outside of court?
There are numerous benefits when it comes to getting divorced outside of the court. Some of these benefits include:
- Control: Alternative methods of divorce award spouses more control over the matters of their divorce because they can make the decisions, rather than placing the decisions in the hands of a judge.
- Confidentiality: It is important to know that matters addressed in the court can become public record. As a result, matters settled outside of the court are more private.
- Speed: The length of these processes is dependent upon the couple and the issues they have to resolve. Therefore, it can be faster than litigation.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective, as trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is voluntary, as spouses have the choice to participate. Both spouses must be on the same page and will have to work together to find creative solutions that benefit each party, meaning more open communication and compromise, which can be especially beneficial when it comes to co-parents.
If you have any questions or concerns about the divorce process, our firm is here to help. Contact our firm to discuss your options with an experienced attorney today.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.