When it comes to getting divorced, you will need to gather a number of documents. Read on to learn more about the best ways to prepare for a divorce and the information you will need to provide.
What financial information is needed?
In a divorce, the following financial information will be needed:
- Individual and business income tax returns (state and federal)
- W-2 statements
- Recent employment pay stubs
- Monthly bank statements for joint and individual accounts
- Stock, bond, and mutual fund monthly account statements
- Account statements for annuities, CDs, 529s, UTMA/UGMA, etc.
- Social security statement
Full financial disclosure is one of the most important parts of a divorce.
What property information is needed?
The following property information is needed in a divorce:
- Primary residence
- Rental properties
- Vacation homes and timeshares
- Business property
- Personal property of value
- Interests in a trust
- List of property owned by each party prior to marriage
- Vehicles, boats, motorcycles, etc.
- List of safety deposit box contents with a photocopy of signature cards
- Gifts to individuals
What if a couple has children?
When a couple has children, the following information is needed in their divorce:
- Number and ages of children
- Health insurance
- Medical expenses
- Gifts or transfers to minors
- Special needs designations
What information on bills and debts is needed?
In a divorce, bills and outstanding debt are divided as well as properties. That is why the following information is needed:
- Credit card statements (joint and individual)
- Loan documents
- Leases on vehicles
- Tax lines/debts due to the IRS
- Utility bills
- Money due to third parties
- Student loans, tuition, etc.
- Outstanding medical bills
- Arrears on prior support orders and agreements
- Monthly budget worksheet
What legal agreements are needed?
The following legal agreements are needed as well:
- Living wills
- Powers of attorney
- Advance healthcare directive
- Prenuptial agreement or postnuptial agreement
- Divorce judgments
- Business partnership agreements, records, books, etc.
Do I need to prepare insurance documents?
Insurance documents are also required, including but not limited to:
- Health insurances
- Life insurances
- Auto insurance
- Homeowner’s insurance
- Long term care insurance
- Disability insurance
If you have any questions about preparing for a New York divorce, our firm is here to walk you through the process. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.