Support Payments After a Divorce in New York

contact us for a Free Consultation
ring, money, certificate

An entire family’s life can be impacted by the outcome of a divorce. These proceedings separate an entire life that was built by a couple. This is often a difficult process, as a couple’s life is often tied together in several different ways. It is because of this that one spouse may be required to make support payments to the other after their divorce. Two types of support payments that are made from one spouse to another can be spousal support and child support.

Spousal Support

When a couple combines their lives, their finances are often intertwined as well. In some cases, one spouse is the breadwinner of the family while the other is the caretaker. This can sometimes leave one spouse in an unfair situation after a divorce, as they do not have an income of their own to sustain themselves.

When this happens, one spouse may owe court-ordered financial support payments to the other spouses for a required period of time after their divorce. This is known as spousal support, also commonly referred to as alimony. These payments allow the dependent spouse the opportunity to live comfortably on their own while they begin to gain independence.

Child Support

When children are involved in a divorce, child support must be determined. When a parent has physical custody, they are required to provide the child with shelter, clothes, food, and more. This can become very expensive for one parent to handle on their own. Because of this, a non-custodial parent must continue financially assisting their child after a divorce as well.

Child support payments must be made from one parent to another in order to support their children and allow them to maintain the life they are accustomed to living. This money is to be used solely for matters relating to the child.

In the state of New York, a parent must pay child support until the child is emancipated. The age of emancipation can vary on a case to case basis. Typically, this is 21 years old in New York. However, there are some cases in which a court may extend payments. An example of this can be if a child decides to attend college. To end support payments, a parent must file with the court to declare that their child is emancipated. If the court agrees, the payments can be terminated.

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you know is seeking an experienced attorney for a divorce case, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?

Alimony may be awarded during some divorces to ensure that a lower-earning spouse is not left financially destitute after the marriage comes to an…
Read More

Are Assets Split 50/50 in a Divorce?

There are many decisions that need to be made when a couple decides to get divorced. Besides child custody one of the most important…
Read More