There are a number of ways to get divorced. Some of the most common ways include litigation, arbitration, collaborative divorce, and mediation. Read on to learn more about why mediation is such a popular choice and some tips to have a successful mediation.
What is mediation?
Mediation is a process that occurs outside of the court and involves a couple working through the matters of their divorce with the help of a neutral third party. Some of these matters may include child support, child custody, alimony, division of assets, and more. Mediation is such a popular option because it can offer:
- Control: Generally, mediation awards spouses more control over the matters of their divorce because they can make the decisions, rather than placing the decisions in the hands of a court.
- Confidentiality: The information shared in mediation cannot be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse. This is a good way to keep your private information private. It is important to know that matters addressed in the court can become public record.
- Speed: The length of mediation is dependent upon the couple and the issues they have to resolve. Therefore, it can be faster than litigation.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective, as trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is voluntary, as spouses have the choice to participate. Both spouses must be on the same page and will have to work together to find solutions that benefit each party, meaning more open communication.
- Family: Mediation facilitates healthy conversations, which can benefit any couple that has family involved.
What can I expect from the process?
While there are many benefits to mediation, the process is not always easy. As a result, there are a number of important tips to keep in mind:
- Pick the right mediator: It is important to work with an experienced and reputable mediator.
- Do your research: Entering into the process with an idea of what to expect and what you would like the outcome to be can be extremely beneficial.
- Control your emotions: A divorce is an emotional process. It is easy to become upset or lose your temper. But, the process will only work if both parties can work together.
- Be open-minded: Mediation often involves compromise. It is important to know that you may not always get exactly what you want, and the purpose is to work together to come up with creative solutions that work for both parties.
Reach out to our firm today to learn more about mediation.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.