It is important to note the good and bad behaviors that a spouse can have during the divorce process and to ensure that you are avoiding the bad behaviors. Your actions can have a strong impact on the outcome of your divorce. Contact our experienced New York divorce attorneys to learn more.
What are the dos of a divorce?
The intention for any spouse during a divorce is for the proceedings to run as smoothly as possible. In order to increase the chances that the proceedings will work well, spouses should begin to practice the following:
- Change passwords to all email accounts and social media sites
- Disclose all assets and liabilities when filling out your inventory
- Be aware of the household budget and expenses
- Collect your last two tax returns, real estate deeds, and mortgage documents
- Examine your credit history and get a credit report
- Know the total balance on any joint checking and savings bank accounts
- Know the balance on your retirement plans, 401(k), pension plan, etc.
- Get a copy of your spouse’s last two paycheck stubs
- Seek out a CPA or accountant to help review the tax implications of your divorce
- Seek help for any alcohol or illegal substance abuse
- Keep a journal to document the exchange and pick up of any children you have
- Keep any copies of money paid to your spouse
- Be sure to pay your child support on time
- Maintain good co-parenting practices with your spouse
- Comply with any court-ordered injunctions and restrictions
What are the don’ts of a divorce?
There are also many things that should be avoided during a divorce. Even if some of them seem innocent, however, they can significantly impact the proceedings. These can include:
- Keep things from your attorney
- Post anything on social media that can be used against you
- Post information regarding your divorce on social media
- Withhold visitation from your spouse for their failure to make child support payments
- Move out of state with your children
- Start another romantic relationship during the proceedings
- Bring a new significant other around your children or the court hearings
- Get pregnant or get anyone pregnant
- Remove children from their current school
- Buy real estate or any extravagant items while the divorce is pending
- Sell property without the court’s permission
- Send mean or negative emails, texts, messages, etc. to your spouse
- Increase your debt while the divorce is pending
- Give large contributions to anyone during the proceedings
- Discuss the case with your children or use them as intermediaries
- Criticize your spouse in front of your children
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.