When couples experience divorce proceedings, they often wish to pursue different methods outside of a trial. While it may not be possible for all couples, it can be beneficial for others. Settling a divorce outside of court allows couples to discuss their marital issues on their own without a judge. One method of divorce that common with separating couples is mediation.
The process of mediation allows spouses to work together in order to negotiate the terms of their divorce. With the guidance of an unbiased third party instead of a judge, the spouses are able to make decisions regarding their divorce themselves. In mediation, spouses discuss any marital issues that have not yet been resolved. The mediator listens to both sides and helps the spouses in reaching decisions that work best for their circumstances. Topics of discussion in mediation may include child custody, child support, the division of assets, and alimony.
Benefits of Mediation
There are several benefits to using mediation instead of a trial. When a couple sets the terms of their divorce on their own, they often feel better about reaching the end of their relationship. The benefits of mediation may include:
- Control: With a divorce through litigation, a judge makes decisions about a couple’s marital issues. Mediation gives the spouses control to make their own decisions about the terms of their divorce.
- Confidentiality: Mediation is confidential. Neither spouse or the third party involved can share information spoken about during mediation or use it against one another. This allows spouses to be open and honest with one another.
- Speed: Mediation can be quicker than other methods of divorce. How long it lasts may depend on the couple and how many marital issues must be resolved.
- Cost: Unlike divorcing through litigation, mediation is cost-friendly. Divorce through litigation can become expensive for the couple as well as the state of New York.
- Choice: Couples are given the option to participate in mediation. It is not required, but a voluntary process that allows spouses to reach decisions on their own.
- Family: When a couple uses mediation, it usually benefits any family involved. Trials can often be hostile, while mediation allows for healthy conversations. This is beneficial for families with children.
Contact our Firm
If you or someone you know is going through a divorce and wishes to speak with legal representation, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.