What to Know About Child Support in New York | FAQ

contact us for a Free Consultation

Child support is incredibly important to the well-being of a child. For this reason, it is carefully calculated and legally enforced. It is important to be aware of the child support laws in your state. Read on to learn more about child support in New York.

How is Child Support Determined?

New York courts use the Child Support Standards Act to determine child support. The formula for calculating child support in New York is based on a percentage of the combined income of each parent and the number of children that require financial support. If the combined parental income exceeds $143,000 the court will apply the following child support percentages:

  • One child- 17%
  • Two children- 25%
  • Three children- 29%
  • Four children- 31%
  • Five or more children- at least 35%

In addition to this formula, the court may also consider the following factors:

  • How many children are in your household
  • Whether you or your former spouse have hefty medical bills
  • Your gross yearly income
  • Your child’s age
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child is pursuing a higher education

Can I Modify my Child Support?

Your child support agreement can be modified to be increased or decreased, depending on the situation. If you wish to modify your child support, you will have to prove to a New York court that your circumstances have changed. Some examples that may justify a modification include:

  • An increase or decrease in income
  • A change in federal income tax law
  • Loss of job, or, on the flip side, a promotion
  • A spouse remarries
  • A spouse loses their home
  • The supporting parent has suffered a significant medical injury or condition

When Does Child Support End?

In New York, the age of emancipation is 21. This generally means that child support can end when your child turns 21. But, in some cases, child support can be extended, or terminated early. For example, child support may be extended if your child intends to pursue higher education.

What if My Child’s Parent is Not Paying Court-Ordered Child Support?

Child support payments can be legally enforced in a number of ways. If your child’s parent is not paying court-ordered child support, contact our firm to discuss your options.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support in New York, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced family law attorney.


Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.

Our Recent Blogs

Can a Parent Be Required to Pay for College?

College degrees are often required for certain jobs across the country. While they are necessary and the college experience can be exciting and fun,…
Read More

What Should I Include in My Prenuptial Agreement?

When two people decide to get married, they are committing to combining their lives as one. This can be exciting, but it is important…
Read More