What to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in New York

contact us for a Free Consultation
gavel and two books

When a couple gets divorced, there are many different matters to address. Often, this includes child custody, child support, and alimony. These arrangements will be carefully calculated and determined to do what is best for all parties involved. For example, New York State has a specific formula used to determine child support. But, sometimes, changes occur and these arrangements no longer work. In a case like this, you may require a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New York.

What Arrangements Can be Modified?

It is important to know that a modification can be made to any divorce or settlement agreement under the right circumstances. This can include the following matters: 

  • Child Custody: When either a parent or child’s life changes and their current custody arrangement no longer suits their situation. 
  • Child Support: When a parent paying child support experiences a change in their financial situation, either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts.
  • Spousal Support: When a former spouse’s personal or financial life experiences a change, either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts.

What Circumstances Might Call for a Modification?

In order to obtain a post-judgment modification, you will have to prove to the court that the modification is necessary. Providing this proof can be difficult, so it may be best to obtain the help of an experienced family law attorney. Some circumstances that may call for a modification include:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation no longer needs child support 
  • Financial responsibility must be determined to pay for college education 
  • Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs financial support from their former spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need changing

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your divorce arrangements, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your family law matters. Reach out to speak with a skilled and experienced attorney.


Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.

Our Recent Blogs

Can a Parent Be Required to Pay for College?

College degrees are often required for certain jobs across the country. While they are necessary and the college experience can be exciting and fun,…
Read More

What Should I Include in My Prenuptial Agreement?

When two people decide to get married, they are committing to combining their lives as one. This can be exciting, but it is important…
Read More