If you are getting divorced in New York, you may be wondering about the process ahead. One of the first steps is finding the right attorney. Read on to learn more about why you should work with an attorney during an uncontested divorce.
Why Work with an Attorney During an Uncontested Divorce?
The process can be long and involved:
When you are getting divorced, you will likely go through the following process:
- Complaint for Divorce
- In this document, you will cite the grounds for divorce and request any relief you may need (child support, child custody, spousal maintenance, legal fees, etc.).
- Parties will exchange information with each other and with the court to paint a clear picture of the financial situation of the marriage.
- Compliance Conference
- This conference ensures that all parties have the information and resources they need to move forward with the process.
- Potential Trial
- Some couples do not go to trial and instead resolve matters of their divorce outside of court. This can occur through mediation. Mediation involves a neutral third party helping couples navigate the contested matters of their divorce. If mediation is not possible, a divorce may be litigated. This means a judge will make decisions regarding your divorce. These decisions can be appealed by you or your spouse.
- Once all outstanding matters are resolved, your divorce can be finalized with a Judgment of Divorce. This document will include the terms of the divorce.
This is a document-heavy process and it is important to work with an experienced and skilled attorney.
The process can quickly become contested:
When getting divorced, you will have to work through a number of important matters. These matters may include child support, child custody, spousal support, division of assets, and more. These are sensitive issues, and it is easy for couples to disagree. If spouses are unable to agree upon the matters at hand, their divorce may become contested.
If you are getting divorced in New York, you will need the help of a dedicated attorney. Our firm will advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your options.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.