Who can request visitation with a child?

contact us for a Free Consultation

Divorces impact many different members of the family, especially when the couple splitting up has children together. Depending on the custody arrangement that is made in the divorce, some family members may lose access to the children they were once very close with simply because one of the parents with custody is being hostile towards other family members. When this happens, families get pulled apart and the child is the one who suffers the most. The courts feel as though it is important for children of divorce to be able to maintain significant positive relationships with family members.

If a family member is being denied access to see or speak to a child by a parent, they may wonder what their legal options are. In some cases, they may request an Order for Visitation from the court. However, it is important to be aware that only certain family members are eligible to file a request for visitation because this option is not available to everyone. The only relatives that can file an Order for Visitation with NY family court, aside from a parent that may have lost custody, are grandparents and siblings. Unfortunately, other family members such as aunts, uncles, cousins, or step-parents and siblings are not permitted to request this from the court.

If you have questions about visitation in New York, contact our firm today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Child Support?

Child support payments are important for a separated couple to agree on for the benefit of their child. The money from child support can…
Read More

How Does Substance Abuse Affect Divorce Proceedings?

Addiction is an unkind disease. The use of drugs and alcohol can negatively affect a marriage and family in many ways. When one spouse’s…
Read More