Requesting Visitation with a Child in NY

contact us for a Free Consultation

Divorces are difficult and emotional as is but when the couple getting divorced have children together, there is so much more on the line. When the future of important relationships are put at stake due to a divorce, it is important for parents and loved ones to fight for their rights. When a parent fears that they will not see their child anymore due to a sole custody award to the other parent, they may want to know how they can maintain a relationship with their child. The same is true when other family members feel as though they will lose access to a child because the other side of the family has custody. The answer to this issue is to request an Order for Visitation through the court.

However, not everyone in a child’s life can request the court’s intervention with an Order for Visitation. The only family members that are permitted to make such a request are the noncustodial parent, the child’s grandparents, and the child’s siblings. Unfortunately, New York State does not allow other family members such as aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to request that visitation rights are granted, regardless of how strong the bond between the child and the individual is.

If you have questions about visitation rights in New York, contact our firm today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

How Does a Parent’s Financial Stability Impact Custody Decisions?

There are many factors that a court considers when child custody agreements are being negotiated. The financial stability of a parent can certainly affect…
Read More

Are Alimony Payments Determined Solely on the Financial Needs of the Former Spouse?

The financial needs and situations of each spouse are sure to factor in when a court decides on an alimony agreement, but money is…
Read More