If you are getting divorced in New York, one of the first things you will have to decide is what divorce process to use. Some couples choose to go through the process of litigation. This entails getting divorced through a New York court. But, this process is not for everyone, as it can be long, expensive, and more public than other options. Luckily, there are other methods. Read on to learn about alternate divorce methods in New York.
What is Mediation?
Mediation allows you to settle your divorce outside of the court. This process involves a neutral third party helping you and your spouse find unique solutions that work best for both of you. Some benefits of divorcing through mediation in New York include:
- Control: Spouses have control over making their own decisions. The court does not do so for them.
- Confidentiality: The information discussed in mediation cannot be shared with anyone or be used against either party.
- Speed: The length of this process takes only as long as couples need to settle their marital issues.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective than trials as this can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is entirely voluntary and spouses can choose to stop at any time.
- Family: Mediation allows for healthy conversations, benefiting any couple that has a family.
Mediation is a popular option, but there is no universal solution that works for everyone. Some other options include:
- Collaborative Divorce: This process exists through a series of four-way meetings where spouses are joined by their attorneys to help settle the future of their marital issues.
- Arbitration: This process also involves a third party. However, instead of acting as a mediator, they act as a judge and make all the final decisions relating to marital issues for the spouses.
As mentioned above, there is no universal option, so you should reach out to an experienced attorney to discuss your unique situation.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the various methods of divorce available in New York, contact our firm today. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.