How can I enforce a judgment?

contact us for a Free Consultation

How can I enforce a judgment?

When the court passes a judgment on something, the parties involved are bound to that decision by law. The decision can not be changed or terminated without permission from the court through a legal process known as a modification. When one of the individuals bound by the court order fails to follow the instructions or the provisions of the ruling, they must be held accountable. This is often seen in situations related to child support, visitation, custody, or spousal maintenance.

For the purposes of this blog, the example will be for child support. If the noncustodial parent fails to make child support payments, the custodial parent is missing out on valuable income that they need to adequately provide for the child. In a situation such as this, the custodial parent can submit a violation petition with the court. They will inform the court that the noncustodial parent is not following the order and request assistance in enforcing the child support order. In order to prove to the court that the parent failed to make child support payments, the custodial parent would provide a sworn testimony.

If the noncustodial parent continues to ignore the court’s orders, they may be subject to wage garnishment, license revocation, and even face time behind bars for being guilty of being in contempt of court. The parent will also likely be required to make back payments for any support that they have missed.

If you need assistance enforcing a court order, contact our firm today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

How is Alimony Determined and Enforced in New York?

When it comes to a divorce, there are a number of matters that will need to be determined. One of the most difficult matters…
Read More

Post-Divorce Modifications in New York | What to Know

When you get divorced, the matters of your divorce will be carefully determined in order to be fair to both parties. Because these decisions…
Read More