Child Support Obligations in New York

contact us for a Free Consultation

When parents in Rockland County, New York get divorced, they still have an obligation to provide their children with financial support. The state requires parents to provide financial support to their children until they turn 21 years old. However, there are certain circumstances in which a parent in which a parent may have to continue supporting the child for several years after they turn 21.

Many people wonder how the state of New York calculates child support depending on their situation. The Child Support Standards Act exists to try and allow the child to continue having the same quality of life that they had prior to the divorce. The Child Support Standards Act combines the income of both parents and takes a percentage of it to determine how much support is necessary. With each additional child that the parents have together, the greater the percentage. The percentage breakdown is as follows:

  • One child will get 17 percent of the parents’ combined income
  • Two children will get 25 percent of the parents’ combined income
  • Three children will get 29 percent of the parents’ combined income
  • Four children will get 31 percent of the parents’ combined income
  • Five or more children will get a minimum of 35 percent of the parents combined income

As mentioned earlier, there are a few factors that can require the parents to continue providing support after the child turns 21. This may happen if the child is still pursuing their education, whether it is trade school, college, or another form of higher education. This is also true if the child has special needs. It is also important to note that the child can be emancipated in the eyes of the state after they turn 18 but before they turn 21, which terminates the parental responsibility to continue providing support. This can happen in situations where the child joins the military, if the child has moved out of the parental home and can support themselves, if the child has terminated their relationship with both parents, just to name a few.

If you have questions about child support in New York, contact our firm today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

Can a Parent Be Required to Pay for College?

College degrees are often required for certain jobs across the country. While they are necessary and the college experience can be exciting and fun,…
Read More

What Should I Include in My Prenuptial Agreement?

When two people decide to get married, they are committing to combining their lives as one. This can be exciting, but it is important…
Read More