There are a variety of reasons as to why a marriage can end in the state of New York. Sometimes, these situations can be amicable and spouses can get along throughout the proceedings. However, there are many cases in which marriages end with spouses on bad terms. These situations can cause hostility to be brought into the proceedings. However, there are ways to de-escalate conflict during a divorce to have as much peace as possible. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York divorce attorney for help with your case.
How Can I Go Through a Non-Hostile Divorce?
Knowing how to minimize conflict in a divorce is beneficial for any case, especially when you and your spouse have children together. The following are different skills that can be used to work through disagreements with your spouse during a divorce to avoid hostility:
- Practice radical acceptance. Not accepting the reality of the divorce can cause unhealthy emotions to surface, such as anger. This can impact the divorce proceedings, which is why it is best to accept the situation so you can focus on making the positive choices.
- Be a flexible thinker. Divorces do not have one outcome, which is why it is necessary to keep your mind open. Being able to compromise with your spouse can help to avoid conflict.
- Manage your emotions. During a divorce, there are often many emotions that come to the surface. These can affect the proceedings if they are not controlled, which is why it is crucial to have healthy coping mechanisms.
- Effective communication is key in any divorce. Poor communication can make matters worse for spouses who are not on good terms. That is why it is best to leave your feelings out of it and speak in a neutral tone.
- It is important to not worry about what your spouse is thinking throughout the proceedings and instead focus on your own behavior. By being in control of yourself and not constantly thinking about your partner, you can make the best decisions for your case.
Contact our Firm
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.