Am I allowed to move away with my child?

contact us for a Free Consultation

Parents who are custody of a child in New York State will have to handle a number of different problems that come up throughout the course of co-parenting their child. One of the most difficult matters for parents to handle is when the custodial parent wants to move with the child to a location that would make it hard to keep up the current custody arrangement, ultimately slashing the amount of time that the noncustodial parent will be able to spend with the child. Of course, this can be devastating for the noncustodial parent because they may fear the impacts that the move will have on their relationship with the child.

When one of the parents contests a relocation, the court will be the one who gets to decide whether the custodial parent and the child will be permitted to move. The court will consider a number of different factors, including but not limited to:

  • the impact that the move will have on the child’s relationship with the noncustodial parent as well as extended family members
  • the impact that the move will have on the child’s social and academic life
  • the custodial parent’s reason for wanting the move
  • the noncustodial parent’s reason for opposing the move

If you have questions about relocating with a child, contact our firm today.

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs

What Divorce Paperwork Do I Need to Keep?

The divorce process is going to produce a lot of paperwork. It is basically inevitable. Does that mean you can throw everything out once…
Read More

What Do I Do If I’ve Been Served Divorce Papers?

Getting served with divorce papers can be a stressful experience. We understand that you are likely experiencing a whirlwind of emotions and plenty of…
Read More