When spouses in New York file for divorce, it is important to be aware they are not required to complete the process through litigation in a courtroom. There are other alternatives available to them, such as mediation. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New York divorce attorney for assistance with your divorce.
What is Mediation?
There are some divorce cases in which spouses are able to work together to reach conclusions regarding the terms of their marital issues. In these situations, both parties may benefit from mediation. This method allows the spouses to engage in productive negotiations with the assistance of an unbiased third-party mediator. During this time, they can settle matters such as child custody, child support, the division of assets, and alimony. It is important to note that spouses make their own decisions, the mediator does not do it for them.
Benefits of Mediation
The following are the various benefits of divorcing through mediation in New York:
- Control: Spouses have control over making their own decisions. The court does not do so for them.
- Confidentiality: The information discussed in mediation cannot be shared with anyone or be used against either party.
- Speed: The length of this process takes only as long as couples need to settle their marital issues.
- Cost: Mediation is more cost-effective than trials as this can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Mediation is entirely voluntary and spouses can choose to stop at any time.
- Family: Mediation allows for healthy conversations, benefiting any couple that has family.
How Does Mediation End?
The process of mediation can start to come to a close once spouses reach agreements. It is then that the mediator can draft a Memorandum of Understanding, detailing these decisions. The document will be given to both spouses’ attorneys so a Matrimonial Settlement Agreement can be created. Once this is signed by both parties, it can be presented to the court so a judge can finalize the divorce.
Contact our Firm
Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.