How Can I Get Parenting Time During the Holidays in New York?

contact us for a Free Consultation
child sitting

While it is not yet the holidays, the season is quickly approaching. It is because of this that it can be a good time to revisit your parenting plan. Many parents want to spend the holidays with their children. However, this can be more complicated for divorced parents. If one parent wants to spend a specific holiday with their child but it is not in the agreement, there are steps that can be taken. Continue reading below and contact an experienced New York family law attorney.

What do I do if a Holiday is Not in my Custody Agreement?

If you want to spend a holiday with your child and it is not in your parenting agreement, there are options to get the holiday you want. A good place to start is by talking about it with them. There are instances in which the other parent may be okay with exchanging the holiday for another date. However, if they are not willing, it is still possible to petition the court for a post-judgment modification. This allows for changes to be made to the agreement, such as parenting time on a holiday, if there has been a change in circumstances that calls for it. 

What Else is Included in a Parenting Time Plan?

There are a variety of other terms that are included in a parenting time agreement when it is created. This can include the following:

  • A designation of physical and legal custody
  • A description of the parenting arrangement
  • A description of any changes that may occur in the arrangement as well as methods to modify the plan
  • A statement delegating any parental responsibilities and rights
  • Transportation concerns to bring the child to and from each parent
  • Any concerns regarding birthdays and holidays
  • Provisions regarding traveling out of the state or country
  • A description of access to and sharing school and medical records

Contact our Firm

Peter V. Mandi, Esq. is an experienced divorce and family law attorney located in Bohemia, New York. Our firm understands the impact a divorce can have on your life. If you require strong and dedicated legal representation in Long Island, New York, please do not hesitate to contact Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc. today.

Our Recent Blogs

Can a Parent Be Required to Pay for College?

College degrees are often required for certain jobs across the country. While they are necessary and the college experience can be exciting and fun,…
Read More

What Should I Include in My Prenuptial Agreement?

When two people decide to get married, they are committing to combining their lives as one. This can be exciting, but it is important…
Read More